Time Mag Announces Approaching Ice Age
Posted by greg2213 on January 15, 2010
I’ll just drop them in as I come across them. Most recent are at the top of the list.
- In 1971, the world’s top climate scientists Schneider, Hansen and Rasool predicted that burning fossil fuels would trigger an ice age. They also determined that CO2 was nothing to worry about. Here.
- The End Holocene – a discussion of abrupt climate change leading to an ice age. Includes clips from the 70s of scientists warning Nixon of exactly that. Also see Glacial Inception and the prior articles linked to from these two posts.
- U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming
PopTech added a comment noting that the list of cooling alarmism is his. Here’s his page: 1970s Global Cooling Alarmism. (It’s also linked to, below.) The comment below, from Newsbusters, is also his.
Thank you, PopTech!
Update 7/4: More debunking of the “cooling scare deniers:” The CIA documents the global cooling research of the 1970’s
Update 2/7: Some wags claim that the 70s ice age scare has been discredited. Unfortunately for their argument and their meme of “Doom!”, they’re wrong. As usual.
Deniers from the hockey team tell us that the 1970s ice age scare never happened, or that scientists were not behind it. They are as well informed as holocaust deniers. Below is overwhelming evidence that the 1970s were colder than earlier in the century.
Here’s the rest and the excerpts, lots of excerpts: Liars And Deniers In The Midst
update 12/17: ClimateDepot has a writeup on the subject:
Despite many claims to the contrary, the 1970′s global cooling fears were widespread among many scientists and in the media. Despite the fact that there was no UN IPCC organization created to promote global cooling in the 1970s and despite the fact that there was nowhere near the tens of billions of dollars in funding spent today to promote man-made global warming, fears of a coming ice age, showed up in peer-reviewed literature, at scientific conferences, voiced by prominent scientists and throughout the media.
Newsweek Magazine even used the climate “tipping point” argument in 1975. Newsweek wrote April 28, 1975 article: “The longer the planners delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality.”
But on October 24, 2006, Newsweek admitted it erred in predicting a coming ice age in the 1970′s.
here’s the rest: Climate Depot’s Factsheet on 1970s Coming ‘Ice Age’ Claims
NoFreeWind discusses this Time article, from 1975. Links to the article and more info are on that site. The Cooling World
Science News had a similar article, here: (Here’s a local copy in case the above link disappears.)
Headlines from the New York Times
The print version: Newsbusters has 150 Years of Global Warming and Cooling at the New York Times
PDFs on Cooling and other hysteria
Fire and Ice
Science News 1975: The Chilling Possibilities
The following selection of links is from Newsbusters, and was posted in the comments section: (5/27/13 – this list was posted on Newsbusters by PopTech.)
1970 – Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age – Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)
1970 – Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970)
1970 – Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970)
1971 – U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971)
1971 – New Ice Age Coming – It’s Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971)
1972 – British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972)
1972 – Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972)
1972 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972)
1973 – Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973)
1974 – Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974)
1974 – 2 Scientists Think ‘Little’ Ice Age Near (The Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974)
1974 – Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (The Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974)
1975 – Climate Changes Called Ominous (PDF) (The New York Times, January 19, 1975)
1975 – Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975)
1975 – B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (The Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975)
1975 – The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (The Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975)
1975 – The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975)
1975 – Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975)
1975 – In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975)
1976 – Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976)
1976 – The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? (Book, 1976)
1977 – The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977)
1977 – The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age (Book, 1977)
1978 – Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978)
1978 – The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of – TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, May 1978)
1979 – New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979)
Read the whole Newsbusters article here: 100 Years of Headlines About Catastrophic Climate Change (The video above is an updated version of the one on the Newsbusters page, provided by one of their commenters, and is much easier to watch.)
The alarmists say that the warnings of cooling in the 70s are a skeptic lie. Yeah, well, somebody was feeding those stories to the media. Maybe it was a noisy Al Gore type or maybe the media made it all up, much like they do today. Maybe it’s the alarmists who are lying, given the hysteria that their side is pushing.
Either way, the media is relevant, since that’s where most people get their info. The media IS the voice of science for most people. Perhaps the alarmists should be concerned about modern reporting on climate?
Update – more links to articles of Doom!:
- 1976, Time: Environment: Forecast: Famine?
- Nice graphical timeline of media headlines
- Rare honesty from media: Newsweek Changes Media Climate 31 Years after Global Cooling Story
- NASA (no scientists there, right?) predicted the coming ice age back in ’71. The model for the prediction seems to have been written by… one James Hansen.
- Love this quote, “One might almost conclude that, in the world of climatology, theories are made to order.” From this article describing a ’74 CIA report on the threat of global cooling.
- More on the CIA report
- PDF of the CIA report
- 1998, Fred Singer editorial – Scientists add to heat over global warming
- Excerpt from the August 1977 book “The Weather Conspiracy, the Coming of the New Ice Age” Random House.
- Clip of a 1982 article: How to be right about the climate, always.
- In Search Of… (remember that show? Loved it.) The coming Ice Age
- Register Herald: New evidence indicates ice age (Google news archive)
- Calgary Herald, Jan 10, 1978: Little Ice Age
In a few years will the media be telling us, again, of the approaching ice age? Will the fear-mongering crowd (Al Gore crowd) be telling us that “scientists were not warming of Global Warming in the 90s and early 2000s?”
- The Global Cooling Scare Revisited (‘Ice Age’ Holdren had plenty of company) – Recent attention has been paid to the coming Ice Age talk of John Holdren and Steven Schneider before they got global warming religion. Here are some “global cooling” quotations and comments from an earlier era…
- New Ice Age Seen Within Our Lives (1975)
References to related stuff on Amazon:
- Fred Singer: Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years, Updated and Expanded Edition
- The Genesis strategy: Climate and Global Survival
- The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun?
Light Reading on Amazon:
- The World in Winter (Alpha Books) – A post apocalyptic world where an ice-age has rendered much of the northern world uninhabitable. Out of print, but available used.
- Fallen Angels – Reeling under a new ice age, the lunatic fringe of the environmental movement controls the US government. Abandoned by Earth, the space colonies replenish their air by scoop-ships diving into the atmosphere – but Alex and Gordon’s ship was hit by a missile, and they are now wanted dead or alive.