It’s generally accepted, though still debatable, that global temps have gone up about .6C over the last 100 some odd years. This is averaged over the whole year and some months will show a higher rate, others a lower one.
But .6C isn’t particularly alarming. It’s interesting only because we’re living through it, it’s by no means unique to this period in time. Given data manipulation and heat island effects it can be argued that there has been close to zero warming, on average, but let’s go with the .6 number.
How do you make it into a scarier picture? After all, there’s all that grant money to think about, not to mention Al Gore’s fortunes, incredible tax revenues, increasing government power, massiive boosts to the bottom line of any corporation that can play in the carbon market (Big Oil, Brokerage firms, UN IPCC Chief Pachauuri’s firms, etc.) Showing a warming picture that’s just interesting won’t do.
So let’s grab a particularly terrifying pic from WUWT:
What’s shown here is the average monthy temperature for many different years, each year being a separate line. The red line is 2009 and it seems to be pretty average. So where’s the catastrophic warming? Think the background pic does anything to add to the alarm? I don’t either.
Then compare that pic to this one, also from the same post:
Nice background pic, hmmm?
Squish 120 years of temps into a short space and widen the vertical graph, both of which exaggerate that upward sloping red line. Make the scale in degrees Fahrenheit, instead of Celsius, since .6C becomes just over 1F, so looks bigger (scarier.)
So the two graphs display the same data, but which one do you think will be more likely to be on the cover of any report by any of the above listed warming beneficiaries?
Here’s the WUWT post with the graphs, more discussion, and the usual bazillion comments: Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics … and Graphs
- A comparison of Central England’s daily temp variation to the global “rise” in temps over the last 100+ years: A Different Perspective Of The Rise In Global Temperature
- Some interesting remarks on ocean temps and heat capacity: The Real Measure of Global Warming
- Global Temperatures: How Fast Will Temps Have To Grow To Reach The Alarmist Hyped Predictions?
- Atmospheric CO2 content as a % of the total
- Mauna Loa CO2 record. note the extreme rise in CO2.
- Annual CO2 Vs US Temps. Pretty good for about 20 years.
- Mauna Loa Vs Global Temps. Again, pretty good for about 20 years. Amazing how the current period looks just like the ’57 through ’77 period.
- Another Temp Vs CO2 chart
- Global Warming is a Disease and is Spreading out of Africa at 100 miles per year.