You made it here. Wow.
This is the “about this site” page and I’ll probably edit and add to it at some point.
So… why another climate blog?
I have a ton of links to global warming info that I’ve collected and this blog is an experiment in trying to make some order of them. It’s more for me than you, though you’re certainly welcome to add your 2 cents.
You’re not a scientist, what gives you the right to comment on global warming?
Well, beside the fact that that question is silly, there’s the first amendment. Or maybe there’s the lack of your right to comment (if the above is a reasonable statement.) You’re not a scientist so you’re not an expert so not only do you not have the right to comment you don’t have the right to criticize, since by your own definition you know nothing.
Or I could say that once scientists move away from the science and into politics they are fair game, just like any politician.
Or I could point out that most of the CAGW remarks don’t actually have anything to do with the science, so are fair game.
Or I could just reply to that question like this, “Thanks for throwing Gore/Obama/Pachauri under the bus.”
The About Part
While I do have a BS in Biology I don’t claim to be a scientist.
I’m a warming skeptic, which just means that I think everything that comes out of Al Gore’s mouth is pure fantasy and that the IPCC summary policy papers cannot be justified by the science.
Politically I’m pretty conservative and lean libertarian. I’m also a closet tree-hugger and worms eat my garbage (some of it, anyway. They esp. like cantaloupe rinds.)
If you like them (my posts, not the rinds) then great! If you don’t, well, there’s always another place to be.
I live in the US NW and am I worried about where the climate is going? Well, other than the possibility that is might get colder, not in the slightest. I think the suggested mitigation efforts are vastly more dangerous than any warming that we will see. Given the winters here and elsewhere I think that some warming might be a very good thing.
All policies are subject to change without notice. This might become a real policy page someday, but for now…
- I do not log into this site everyday. If you make a comment and it takes a long time to appear, assuming that it’s worth approving, then that’s the reason.
- Comments follow the usual rules of, “be nice.” I don’t care if you disagree, just be respectful. Some people find that to be difficult, but try anyway.
- Posting: Comments are often posted immediately and will be moderated after the fact. If your comment doesn’t appear immediately then it was probably nabbed by the WP garbage filters (whether or not it deserved to be nabbed is a separate issue.) At the moment I look at all comments, spam or otherwise, so if you have a good comment that was filtered then it will be rescued. Probably not immediately, though.
- Note – since comments, often, appear immediately I take zero responsibility for the content of those comments. Said comments may or may not have any relevance to reality or my opinions on any subject. Said comments may not survive moderation once I log into this site.
- I reserve the right to ban people with zero notice and for any reason, which may include my team losing in today’s game.
- Links – Feel free to link to any part of this blog that you feel like linking to. I reserve the right to snip trackbacks and not to link back, depending on this, that, and the other thing. Links to other sites in your comment(s) are fine if they’re appropriate.
- Affiliate links – You should assume that I get a commission for any links on this site that lead to paid products, such as those on amazon.com. Said commission usually runs from 5-10%.
- Google ads – Google picks the ads based on page/post content and I have zero control over which ads are shown. If you want to know exactly how they work then check out Google’s pages on Adsense or the many other pages elsewhere.
Privacy and email
- Email – In the event that I receive interesting emails I will respond, otherwise I will ignore them. In this case no email info is retained.
- Email lists – At some point this blog may have a subscription form, likely either from Feedburner or Aweber. In the case of the former: Google/Feedburner’s privacy policies apply. For the latter, Aweber’s.
- Email info and privacy – I don’t give any of your email, or other, info to 3rd parties. I reserve the right to send to you the occasional recommendation to a paid product, for which I will receive a commission if you purchase said product.
- Unsubscribe – any email service that I will use, regardless of whether it’s one of the above, has an unsubscribe link at the end of the email. Use it if you’re not interested in what I’m sending.
- Naturally, once you are off this site you are subject to the other guy’s policies.
This site has no Facebook or other social site presence and is not likely to get one. Why? See above.